Bad breath, also called halitosis, is a nuisance we all experience at some point or another. Usually, it's nothing more than a temporary annoyance, but for some people, it's a chronic problem. As a cosmetic and general dentist here in the Santa Monica area, we at Best Natural Smile are always looking for ways to help you improve your dental health – so let's take a look at what's behind all that bad breath.
The Causes of Bad Breath
Bad breath can have a number of causes ranging from temporary, non-problematic conditions to serious dental disease. Here are a few of the most common causes of bad breath:
- Food: Perhaps the most well-known cause, it's common for breath to smell after eating foods like garlic or onions.
- Dry Mouth (Xerostomia): For people with chronic dry mouth, bad breath can be a problem. Saliva plays an important role in flushing away food particles and clearing the mouth, so if saliva is chronically low, breath can start to smell.
- Bacteria in the Mouth: Sometimes, bad breath just comes from naturally-occurring bacteria in the mouth. When these bacteria interact with leftover food particles, they can create gases that tinge your breath.
- Tobacco Products: Whether cigarettes, smokeless, or anything else, tobacco products are guaranteed to make your breath smell.
- Bacterial Infections: Sometimes, bad breath may come from a bigger health problem. Anything from periodontal disease to a respiratory infection could leave your breath smelling funny.
- Dental Decay: If you have the start of a cavity or another form of dental decay, bad breath will likely accompany it.
Contact Your Santa Monica, CA Dentist
Bad breath is normally nothing more than an annoyance, but if it's a chronic problem that doesn't go away, it may be indicative of a larger issue. The best way to fight bad breath is through regular brushing and flossing of your teeth, tongue, and entire mouth – but if even that isn't working and you're still suffering from halitosis, it may be time to get checked out. Feel free to call us at 310-359-8444 or reach out to us at our contact page if you have any questions on managing bad breath, or if you'd like to come in for a checkup, you can use our easy online form to request an appointment at our Santa Monica, CA office. Until then, we wish you luck in keeping your teeth healthy and clean and your breath smelling fresh!